You can apply to become a British citizen and a British Overseas Territories citizen (BOTC) through this route if you are:
- a direct descendant of someone who was born on the islands that now form the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT)
- not already a British citizen or a BOTC
If you are an adult (over the age of 18), you will have 5 years from 23 November to apply. If you are a child (under the age of 18), you will have until your 23rd birthday to apply.
The application process is free.
Online application form:
Paper application form:
Problems and questions:
ChagossianEnquiries@homeoffice.gov.uk or call +44 (0)300 790 6268 (Option 2) or use +44 (0)203 875 4669.
Further UK Government advice and Frequently Asked Questions
Following successful application applicants will need to:
- Apply for a British passport – Current fees for individuals applying for a passport from Mauritius/Seychelles are £86 for an adult and £56 for a child https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports
- Attend a citizenship ceremony – a fee may be charged
- Individuals and family members who do not have British citizenship and who wish to move to the UK will need to follow the existing UK visa rules https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration